Tips for Decorating with Roller Shades
When decorating your home’s interior, it’s important to consider how the window coverings will affect the overall look. Roller shades are a trendy option that can blend seamlessly into a room’s decor. Their slim profile, ease of use, and vast color and pattern selections help them work well with virtually any design style. Follow these tips to help you decorate a room with roller shades.
What are Roller Shades?
Once intended merely for utilitarian purposes, roller shades are now a popular trend gracing traditional farmhouses, modern condos, and everything in between. These enticing window coverings sit flat against the window, rolling up and out of sight when you want to look outside. They can be lifted and lowered with one hand—or you can install a motorized version for added convenience and smart home functionality.
How to Decorate with Roller Shades
The plain, vinyl roller shades of the past are long gone. Today’s roller shades can effortlessly blend into any room design—provided you decorate with them properly. Here are some useful tips:
- Choose a solid neutral color for a clean, sleek look: This could be a good choice if you have patterned furniture or wallpaper and want your window coverings to slip into the background.
- Choose patterned shades to make a statement: If there aren’t many other patterns in the room, a bold design on your roller shades is the perfect way to lift the mood. The print makes a statement and draws more attention to the window, which could be exactly what you want.
- Opt for brightly colored roller shades in a child’s room: A striking shade in your baby’s nursery or child’s playroom is an easy way to make the space more whimsical.
- Consider installing a decorative valance: The simple addition of a valance at the top of the window infuses an architectural design element that instantly dresses up a casual space without making it feel too formal.
- Use woven shades for added texture: You have numerous material options to choose from, including woven grass or bamboo. This choice pairs beautifully with white walls, adding instant texture and interest in an otherwise plain space.
- Combine roller shades with drapery: Roller shades can certainly stand alone, but they also pair well with drapery, giving you another option to customize natural lighting and privacy.
- Pick your desired light level: Roller shades come in various opacities, from sheer and semi-sheer to room darkening and blackout. The style you choose depends on the light level you prefer in the room.
Now that you know how versatile roller shades can be, you may be interested in adding some to your home. Value Blinds & Shutters offers the premium-quality products you’re looking for. We carry Hunter Douglas shades and other types of window treatments from today’s top brands. To get started, call us at 303-663-8120 and request your free in-home consultation, or visit our showroom in Castle Rock on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm.