Everyone knows that shutters, blinds and shades can add to the beauty of your home, give you privacy, and let you control the amount of light entering the room. But people tend to overlook how window coverings also allow you to regulate the temperature in your home, increasing energy efficiency. An average-sized house can achieve an annual energy savings of around $150 by adding energy efficient window coverings. Here are the best kinds of window coverings to keep the heat out of your home, plus some general stay-cool tips.
- Lighter colors reflect light and heat, while dark colors absorb it. Dark shades may do wonders keeping the light out, but they may be soaking up a lot of heat. For rooms that face south and get a lot of sun, consider white window coverings, as white will reflect the most sunlight.
- Cellular shades, aka honeycomb shades, combine the energy efficiency of shades with the functionality of blinds. They allow you to raise the shade from the bottom or lower it from the top, giving you more ability to adapt to where the sun is entering the room.
- If possible, you want to install your window coverings very close to the window. This makes it more efficient at reflecting sunlight back outside, and creates less room to trap heat.
- Some models of blinds, by leading manufacturers such as Hunter Douglas, are motorized, which makes them easier and quicker to adjust. Advanced models have timers and/or use sensors to maximize or minimize heat gain as needed. Imagine your blinds responding to your home getting too hot, by adjusting themselves to block sunlight for you. Now that’s efficiency. Some models of shades are also available with motorization as well.
- Remember that you’re not only keeping the sunlight / heat out of your home. You also want to keep the cool air-conditioned air in. That’s another reason you want window coverings close to the window. Adding layers (drapes plus shades, for instance) is another way to retain cool air.
Whether you have a specific product in mind or have no idea what window treatments you need, Value Blinds and Shutters has the selection and expertise to help you make a decision. Our team of professionals can answer any questions you may have and provide an in-home estimate so that you know exactly what your project entails.
Our company has served Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highland Ranch, and the surrounding area for 10 years, and has built a reputation for service and affordability. Our products include the highest quality name brands at a fraction of the average retail prices. Many of our products can be as much as 60% less expensive than the same product purchased at a home improvement store or independent dealer.
When you’re ready to replace your current window shutters and blinds with something new and fresh, please call us at 720-606-6178 to request a free in-home consultation. You can also visit our showroom in Castle Rock on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm.