How to Protect Furniture from Sun Damage
Incorporating natural light into your home can have a positive impact on your physical and emotional well-being, while also reducing your energy consumption and improving the look and feel of your living space. Unfortunately, natural light can cause damage and fading to your furniture by exposing it to harmful UV rays. So how do you enjoy the benefits of natural light and protect your furniture at the same time? Here are a few tips:
- Positioning Your Furniture:The easiest solution is to simply position it away from direct sunlight, so place your furniture in shaded areas or behind curtains or window shades.
- Install Window Film: Protective window films are a very popular means of blocking harmful UV rays from fading your furniture. Special films can provide UV protection but still allow plenty of light to enter the room.
- Install New Windows: While this may not always be an affordable option for many families, manufacturers have developed windows with UV blocking properties to protect your furnishings from fading.
- Solar Blinds: Solar blinds, like window films, are able to allow light into the room while blocking harmful UV rays. These blinds can be mounted inside or outside of your existing window frames and they’re available in a virtually endless variety of styles and colors to match your existing home décor.
- Curtains: Hanging curtains can allow you to control when and how much light will enter a room. For the best results with curtains, they should completely cover the windows when closed. High quality blackout curtains can block as much as 90% of the light entering a room and can also help to save energy by keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Protective Sprays: There are several of these products on the market. They can be sprayed directly onto your furniture and provide protection against harmful UV rays. In addition they can also help to prevent spills from staining your furniture.
Where to Get Help
If you need help with protecting your furniture, check with the window covering professionals here at Value Blinds & Shutters. For over 18 years, we have served the Denver and Douglas County areas with quality window treatments and blinds installations. We are a locally owned and operated business and represent top manufacturers including Hunter Douglas. Backed by our A+ Better Business Bureau rating, we provide our customers with in-home consultations, free estimates, expert installation, and affordable prices. We have a strong focus on customer service and will do everything we can to make sure that you are completely satisfied with the end results. We have showrooms in Castle Rock and Colorado Springs where you can see these quality window coverings for yourself. For more information about the products and services we offer, visit our website, or give us a call at 720-606-6178 to schedule a free in-home consultation. We look forward to serving you!