Plantation shutters are praised for their elegance, functionality, and durability. But with so many factors to consider, making the right choice can feel overwhelming. That’s why we’ve put together this friendly guide to help you make the best choice for your Colorado home.
Take Accurate Measurements
Nothing derails a shutter project faster than incorrect measurements. For the best results, consider hiring a professional window measuring service.
Consider Your Mounting Options
The choice between mounting your shutters inside or outside the window frame depends on the specifics of your window and your aesthetic preferences. Inside mounting is sleek but demands precise measurements, while outside mounting is forgiving but may appear bulkier.
Select a Material
Plantation shutters come in an array of materials. The most popular choices include:
- Natural wood: Eco-friendly Bass Cedar is an excellent choice for beautiful, durable, genuine wood shutters.
- Composite: These shutters are made from a combination of wood and synthetic materials, such as vinyl or medium-density fiberboard (MDF). They offer the look of real wood without the weight or the maintenance.
- Vinyl: As the most budget-friendly option, vinyl plantation shutters are ideal for high-humidity settings, such as the kitchen or bathroom.
Select a Color and Finish
White provides a classic look, but plantation shutters are available in numerous colors and finishes. If you’re replacing or adding to existing shutters, color matching is crucial to ensure a consistent appearance.
Pick a Tilt Mechanism
Weigh your options carefully:
- Traditional rods are more visible, but you may prefer their classic look.
- Hidden tilt rods offer a cleaner, more modern aesthetic.
- Single-tilt rods, available in traditional or hidden styles, control all the louvers at once.
- Split-tilt rods, also offered in traditional or hidden versions, let you control the top and bottom louvers independently.
Choose a Louver Size
Louver widths vary from 1 7/8 inches to 5 1/2 inches. While larger louvers allow more light, smaller ones give you added privacy. The standard sizes are 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2 inches, which cater to most window dimensions and personal preferences.
Do your research before choosing plantation shutters from one company or another. Hunter Douglas is a well-respected brand backed by limited lifetime warranties for your peace of mind.
Schedule a Professional Consultation
The last step is to view plantation shutters in different colors, materials, and styles. While pictures give you an idea of what you want, nothing compares to seeing and handling a product in person.
Value Blinds & Shutters would be happy to help you on your plantation shutter journey. After over 18 years in the business, we have earned an A+ rating from the BBB and a reputation for excellent customer service. We feature products from Hunter Douglas and other top brands to help you make the best choice. Our competitive prices and free estimates mean you can transform your space without breaking the bank.
Ready to make a choice you’ll love for years? Call us at 303-663-8120 or contact us online. You can also visit our showroom in Castle Rock on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm to see some of our most popular plantation shutters in person.